Sunday, August 26, 2012

Stick to Chicken



Last month, Chick-Fil-A's CEO, Dan Kathy, caused quite a commotion when he made anti-gay marriage statements on a radio show and also to the Baptist Press. My first thought was, who really cares what Dan Kathy thinks? But apparently a lot of people care, and it has caused protests all across America and multiple companies have come out to say they support equal rights for all such as: Microsoft, Nike, Google, Apple, and Starbucks. The question I want to ask Dan Kathy and the rest of the anti-gay movement is why do you care so much what other people do in their private lives? There are a lot of things people do that I don't agree, but what other people choose to do with their life is none of my business. I have heard many anti-gay marriage advocates say, "we need to protect the sanctity of marriage." The problem is, the sanctity of marriage is already questionable at best. We see celebrities, politicians, and other role models getting married and divorced on a whim, committing domestic violence, and infidelity all over television, magazines, and newspapers. There is no law preventing people from getting married 15 times if they wish, as long as they are a single person each time they are married. The bible does say that being homosexual is a sin, but it also says that we are all sinners. I believe that God teaches love and acceptance, not hate and intolerance. I think that Chick-Fil-A should stick to making chicken, and keep their opinions on political issues to themselves. I would hate to see what they do to gay chickens!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with a 100%. Why should everyone else care about what everyone else does in their private lives. Marriage now a days never lasts long between a man and a women but the marriages of same sex marriages last much longer, because they have real love for the person. I think companies should keep their opinions out of things and just make their products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Companies, especially major corporations(or those that represent them) should keep their opinions to themselves. It is my contention that in reality these corporations that came out to support "equal rights," probably couldn't care less about the social issues plaguing us this day in age. Most likely their "cares" go as far as worrying about losing the offended demographic as customers, if they don't immediately jump to the front of the line in condemming the "big bad offender," who most likely just had a case of not thinking before speaking(like we all do sometimes.) But now the company he represents is in trouble(many people other than him that didn't say or have his views; employess, stock holders etc) for what one man said. Was what he said wrong? absolutely, but the instant vilification this day in age isn't much better in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that CEO's of major companies should voice their opinions about such matters as gay marriage. Knowing that the owners of Chic Fil A are devout Mormons(being that all of their franchises are closed on Sunday because this is a day of rest in this religion), it is mostly common knowledge for those familiar with the Mormon traditions, that this company would be against gay marriage. This view really went without saying. Whenever a CEO or celebrity feels they need to voice their opinions about subjects that have controversy in this country, I am always confused as to what the purpose of doing so was. A majority of the time, people are met with negative consequences. When will people learn that sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is wise to always keep your mouth shut, no matter who you are. I understand and agree with your point on this matter, but I also think freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, and an essential factor upon which America was created. I think if the owners of Chick-Fil-A had stated their support of gay marriage, the outcome would have been starkly different. I think the negativity is strictly related to the heat of the controversy surrounding this particular topic. Anyway, I think if you feel strongly about something, let it be know. Just be ready for the consequences.

      Delete
  4. I remember hearing about this from various news websites and videos. Overall, I agree with your first thought – I don’t care about what some CEO thinks about marriage and I don’t see why others are causing such a big commotion, because it’s not as though Mr. Kathy is the first CEO to broadcast their opinion about such a controversial subject. In regards to your question of why people against homosexual marriage care so much – perhaps they feel their morals, ideals or beliefs are being threatened. I agree that “the sanctity of marriage is already questionable at best”, but I wholeheartedly believe when it comes to marriage society should leave people alone and let them get married or not get married to whomever they want. I’m not sure why some religious individuals bring the Bible into question when discussing marriage because not everyone is religious and not everyone shares the same region, let alone the same views towards one religion. I think if religious individuals are going to bring the Bible’s so-call views on marriage into light in regards to homosexual marriage, then they’re thrusting their religion onto other people – which some would argue is simply rude. Honestly, I think Chick-Fil-A’s CEO mainly broadcasted his opinion to draw attention to his company, and it worked – I didn’t even know what a Chick-Fill-A was before it got splattered all over the news.

    ReplyDelete